MSI downloaded and installed -- and now?

Jan 12, 2016 at 4:04 PM
After clicking around for half an hour, in vain looking for documentation.... If this is a bogus entry - congrats! If this is real , please tell me where you hid it. Thanks!
Jan 12, 2016 at 4:09 PM
This only works for SSMS 2008 and there is a new menu item that gets added to the tool bar. If you don't have SSMS 2008 this addin won't work.
Jan 12, 2016 at 4:14 PM
Aaaaaaarg! :D

Thank you for the promp reply!
Jan 12, 2016 at 4:32 PM
What are you trying to do exactly? I'm surprised anyone would have found this five years later or need to use it since 2012+ has UI support built into SSMS for 2012+. The feasibility of XE in 2008/R2 is there, but Trace would likely be easier to work with at this point.
Jan 12, 2016 at 4:43 PM
As 2012 doesn't show a gui for extended events when trying to access a 2008, and my Xpath / Xquery skill are not there, I thought that with this snapin I can check Xevents on 2008 as easy as it is on 2012...
Jan 12, 2016 at 4:46 PM
You can try the 2012 SSMS version of this from here:

https://www.sqlskills.com/free-tools/sql-server-2012-extended-events-add-in/

It's also been a while since I worked on that one, but I know others still use it.
Jan 12, 2016 at 5:09 PM
Aaaaaah! Great, I will test it tomorrow morning ( 6 PM here in Amsterdam, gotta go home) Thanks for the link, this is much appreciated.
Jan 13, 2016 at 3:35 PM
I've downloaded and installed, and connected to a SQL2008, but I still cannot find any difference to the GUI. It's not in the Management map, is that correct? Searched again all over the place, but no GUI change. Any idea?
Feb 9, 2016 at 5:59 PM
I was unable to get anything to work with SSMS 2012 until I added an XEvents.Addin file to c:\users\yourname\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\MSEnvShared\Addins. I had to create the MSEnvShared\Addins folders.

When I installed the latest 2012 version I installed it to C:\XEvents (I also removed spaces from the [Extended Events SSMS Addin] folder name), which is identified in the Assembly xml.

Here's the xml in the file:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<Extensibility xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/AutomationExtensibility">
<HostApplication>
    <Name>Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio</Name>
    <Version>*</Version>
</HostApplication>
<Addin>
    <FriendlyName>XEvents.Addin</FriendlyName>
    <Description>XEvents.Addin Description</Description>
    <Assembly src="file">C:\XEvents\ExtendedEventsSSMSAddin\XEvents.Addin.dll</Assembly>
    <FullClassName>XEvents.Addin.Connect</FullClassName>
    <LoadBehavior>1</LoadBehavior>
    <CommandPreload>0</CommandPreload>
    <CommandLineSafe>0</CommandLineSafe>
</Addin>
</Extensibility>
Feb 23, 2016 at 1:24 PM
Hi JMayher,

Thanks for your reply. I'm trying to get this tool to work, but still no luck. So I downloaded ssms_2012_xe_addin_setup.exe, there is no difference in the GUI. Some say there's something new to see in the menubar <View> , according to an other source, it's under <tools>.

I don't know if i understood you correctly, but i created the MSEnvShared\Addins in the above mentioned space, and created a file called Assembly.xml and copied the above content in it. It didn't seem to work, there is nothing extra in the <View>.

My next try is going to install 2008 management server.